Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities
The bicycle and pedestrian trails in central Iowa are an integral part of the recreational and alternative commuter transportation options in the region. The CIRTPA planning area encompasses over 200 miles of bicycle and pedestrian trails, the majority of which are shared-use trails.
Thirteen major trails have been identified in central Iowa. They include:
Connect: Central Iowa Bicycle & Pedestrian Transportation Action Plan 2020
The CIRTPA recognizes the significance of creating and expanding opportunities for bicycle and pedestrian transportation facilities in central Iowa. As a result, the CIRTPA collaborated with the Des Moines Area MPO to develop Connect: Central Iowa Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation Action Plan 2020. It aims to:
- Identify ways to enhance and to expand the existing network;
- Connect gaps in the system;
- Promote economic development for the communities;
- Integrate incentives for increasing bicycling and walking into community policies;
- Integrate best practices for bicycle and pedestrian facility development;
- Develop bicycle and pedestrian programs designed for children and adults;
- Establish bicycle and pedestrian safety programs; and,
- Increase signage and communications media.